Pineapple Wine Recipe (Tepache)
- the outer husk and core of one pineapple (the part you can't eat) (I highly recommend this tool!)
- one cup of sugar, ideally piloncillo/panela/jaggery/rapadura/raw sugar/brown sugar
- mixed spices: "pickling spices" will do nicely; make sure they contain no preservatives
- filtered water
- 2-quart mason jar, with metal ring
- unbleached basket-type coffee filter, or unbleached paper towel, or clean cloth towel
In a 2-quart mason jar, dissolve the sugar in a pint of warm water (body temperature or a little cooler).
Cut the pineapple husk and core into chunks roughly 1 inch on a side. Add it to the jar, along with the spices.
Fill with (room temperature) water to 2 inches below the top.
Place filter or towel over the top of the jar, and secure with ring.
Wait 3 or 5 days, or until foamy and aromatic.
Drink chilled, or over ice!
If you want more alcohol and fizz, try putting a tightly-sealing lid on once it starts foaming, then leave it for up to a week.